Thomas A. Bell
A Map of the State of Pennsylvania, by Reading Howell, MDCCXC11. To Thomas Mifflin Governor, the Senate, and House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Published August 1, 1792. Shows: county and township lines, roads, furnaces, forges, grist and sawmills, Indian paths and towns, turnpike road, canal, minerals, horse path.
A copy of the Reading Howell Map of 1791 is in the History of Little Pine Valley by Harry Stephenson, Sr (Camp Hill, PA – 1992).
The section of the map for Lower Paxton Township of Dauphin County identified the property on Jonestown Road west of Beaver Creek as “Bell's.”
In March 1816, the legislature passed an act “for the formation of a map of each of the counties within this commonwealth.” Completed from 1816 to 1820, these maps were based upon actual county surveys with township boundaries, roads and distances, post offices, mills, factories, iron furnaces, iron forges, churches.
A copy of the Thomas Smith Map of 1816 is in the History of Little Pine Valley by Harry Stephenson, Sr (Camp Hill, PA – 1992)
The section of the map for Lower Paxton Township in Dauphin County shows a house at the northwest corner of old Jonestown Road and Beaver Creek with the owner identified as "Cowden."
Information from the Combination atlas map of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania / compiled, drawn and published from personal examinations and surveys by Everts & Stewart. Publication info: Harrisburg, Pa. : Dauphin County Historical Society, 1985. Reprint. Originally published: Philadelphia, Pa. : Everts & Stewart, 1875.
P. Hoerner and J. Walter # 97 are on the north side of what is now Jonestown Road on the Lower Paxton side of Beaver Creek.
Going west on Jonestown Road their neighbors were: S. Buck #11; A. Albright #343 (at the top of the hill); F. K. Levan (near what is now Koch Lane); and J. Shearey #119. On the northeast corner of what is now Jonestown Road and S. Blue Ribbon Avenue stood a school house. West of the school house were a number of families named Crum; A. Winger; W. Fisher #147; and J. Pottiger.
Going north on the Lower Paxton side of Beaver Creek (near what is now Blue Ridge Avenue), their neighbors were: C. Reist (Est); S. Shuey; and W. Crum. Along what is now Chelsey Lane lived M. Goss
Going south on the Lower Paxton side of Beaver Creek their neighbors were: the S & G Mill; and a couple of families named Crum. Near the Blue Ridge Memorial Gardens was a family named D. Stuckey and the Widow Fox. On the southwest and southeast corners of what is now Neys Road and Devonshire Road were families named J. Rudy.
Going east on Jonestown Road into West Hanover Township, their neighbors were: S. Palmer (on the hill top above what is now Wheaton Place); B. Lingle (southeast corner of what is now Jonestown Road and Sarhelm Road); J. Storch; and S & Cath Glassbrenner.
Going south on the West Hanover side of Beaver Creek their neighbors were: A. L. Mountz; D. Crum; W. Allen; J. P. Umberger; and G. Cassel
Lower Paxton Atlas
West Hanover Atlas
Click here to return to the Bell home page
Copyright © 2007, nose4bs.com, All Rights Reserved.
Copying or Publishing this information strictly prohibited without written permission from the author.